What it really cost to start a crochet business
When I first started out, no one told me what all it took to open a crochet business. I had yarn, I had hooks, what else does it really take? After years of running my biz, I realized it takes a lot more than I realized. So I'm making this blog post for those who want to start their own crochet business or those who are just curious as to what it has cost me.
Yarn
Yarn can be very inexpensive or very expensive depending on what you're making, what material you're buying, or how it's sourced. For me, I typically buy acrylic yarns from local retailers and online. For my plush items, I typically spend roughly $5-9 per skein, with an average of 3 skeins per project. For my bags, they typically take 1-3 skeins at about $5-9, and for my blankets, they can range between 8-20 skeins at about $3.99-19 per skein, depending on how big the skein is. My most expensive yarn is a hand-dyed hank from a local shop at $25 per hank. Mohair and natural fibers are usually more expensive and can be around $25-30 per skein. Just starting out, you will be fine using basic acrylic yarns, and you can get a stockpile when retail stores have their clearance events for about $2-3 per skein. Just watch social media crochet groups for these sales, as they don't typically advertise them.
Hooks
Usually, hooks can be found in packs or sold as singles. My cheapest hook I've bought was $1, but there are other hooks that go for as much as $20 a hook. You can just buy basic metal hook sets for around $13, but I would recommend buying ergonomic hooks if you're going to start a business because they put less of a strain on the wrist and hands. I'm still saving up for a Clover set of hooks at about $80-100, but I currently use a set of Susan Bates ergonomic hooks I got at Walmart for about $20.
Misconalinious
Hooks and yarn aren't the only supplies you need as a crocheter. You need stitch markers (technically, you can use yarn scraps, but they fall out easily), which I personally buy from Amazon in bulk for $3-7. Darning needles, which sometimes come with the stitch markers, but once again, I buy them from Amazon in bulk because I'm constantly losing them. Scissors are important, but I typically just use the ones I have lying around the house, or you can get some nice sharp ones for around $5. A tape measure is used to check gauge swatches and to let your customers know how big an item is. I got mine for $3 at Walmart. Some projects like plushies require a little more supplies, like eyes, which can be found at some craft stores as long as you're looking for the smaller sizes, but I mostly have to buy mine online. i spend about $10 for a set that lasts me a few months, even with making plushies every week. Stuffing is another thing that you might need for certain projects and can range between $ 3 and $ 20 depending on how much you buy at once. Usually, a $3.99 bag lasts me a few projects, so I just stick with that for now.
Selling
Depending on where you start selling, depends on how much you'll spend. For markets, I've spent anywhere between $20 and $50 on market spots alone, but I have seen spots as high as $275. If you sell at markets, you'll also need tables ($9-70), a chair ($10), and some spots will require a canopy ($30-170) and weights ($20-40). Personally, now I do an in-person market and spend $35 per month for 6 months for a 2x2 space.
Etsy is what most people start with because it's more beginner cost friendly at $0.20 per listing, and most people recommend 20-30 listings. but ints important to remember that Etsy has fees and requires a listing fee for every item sold, taxes, shipping fees, and more. An Etsy cost calculator is a good resource to use to factor in your cost. Other options like Shopify or having your own website can run about $30 per month and can be more depending on your subscription.
Shipping
There are a lot of options that will allow you to buy shipping labels through their website, but for me, on average, shipping costs about $5-15 per package. You can have your customers pay for shipping, but you will still need shipping supplies. I currently get free shipping supplies from USPS, but keep in mind you can only use it through USPS, and it can increase your shipping rates sometimes. You can use recycled boxes or buy new ones at about $1.50 per box, or buy in bulk for about $20-30. It's also likely that you will need a printer of some sort to print the labels, or factor in how much your local library costs to print per page. I personally just bought a cheap printer on black friday for $60.
Patterns
There are loads of free patterns, but there are also a lot of patterns that require you to purchase. These on avrage rang anywhere between $1 and $20 per pattern.
Overall, starting a crochet business isn't a take out a big loan level expense, but it can be pricey and isn't just a hook and some yarn. This list didnt include things like getting an LLC, any permits or licensing, taxes, or anything that varies by state. Some states require you to have some licensing before you can sell your items, and some don't, but you will always have to pay taxes. Always do your research before starting a big commitment like opening a small business of any kind.
As always, thanks for reading, and I hope you have a day as beautiful as you.
If you would like to see the items I personally buy you can check out my affliate links here.


Comments
Post a Comment